Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The advance of civilization

Our destination is somewhere down there.
 Typically, when we travel to a jungle community it's usually by air.  You've seen a number of our posts where all that you see is an airstrip and a few surrounding huts.  With the increase in oil exploration and the government's promise to improve road access to these communities roads are cropping up everywhere. 

Which way to Pitacocha?








Recently I got "treated" to a road trip on one of these newer roads.  Our trip started in Shell and what would've taken 25 minutes in a plane ended up taking 4 hours.  It was a "treat" in the sense that we didn't have any weight restrictions so I could take a nice camping chair in with me.  It was a bumpy ride and involved several river crossings, one of which we couldn't ford.  As a result we had to ask the children from one community to walk to us just on the other side of the river where we ended up staying. 
Probably what's most important for the communities that are now connected by roads is the fact that people can enter and leave at anytime, day or night.  In the past, patients would have to wait for the next flight which had to occur during daylight hours and 'weather permitting'.  It was not unusual for patients who'd suffered some form of trauma or a snakebite to die while waiting for daylight for the plane. 




Trying to find the 'sweetspot' to get the truck across

 The roads DO help to save lives but also bring in bad influences.  While I was out on a walk in Pitacocha I saw what looked to be the local "Bar" with stacks and stacks of cases of beer.  I didn't see any fights while I was there but have treated many patients who come in with various forms of trauma suffered at the hands of a "friend". 
Our time in Pitacocha was uneventful and we were able to see around 70 to 80 villagers (both adults and kids) and got to spend some time talking to them about Jesus.  One thing that's great about these Compassion missionaries is that they will make several other trips into these communities in order to make sure that all hear the Gospel and nurture those who've made a profession of faith.  I was able to ask several of the kids that I examined if they had Bibles and many of them did.  I was also amazed at how many of them knew who Jesus was and why he was crucified.  As the Compassion missionaries continue their trips into these communities please pray for their safety and that their harvest be plentiful. - Joe


The river right before Liquino and the end of our road





3 comments:

  1. Joe, thank you for sharing your adventures with us. I can share these with our friends. Granny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Joe and Martin family! My name is Kim Post and I am a long-tie Compassion sponsor and advocate. I have met several of my children who are from the jungle (Project 261) there in Ecuador. Now I am making plans to fly out to the jungle from Shell to visit them in their homes. I have a child in Tiweno, one if Achuar, and one in Mashen. I am making plans with Compassion to arrange all this but I am wondering if you have any advice for me. I am wondering things like how much of a hike is it in Tiweno from the runway to where the people live. How did things work when you stayed overnight, etc. The plan for me is to fly in and out in the same day but we are all aware that the weather and flight conditions will dictate what happens! As a sponsor, I have to say how grateful I am to learn of your care for the Compassion children - you may even have met one of my kids! Blessings to you, and thank you for any helpful advice you can give me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good evening Kim, We would love to answer your questions. Please write us at jmartin@reachbeyond.org and we can answer your questions by email. When are you coming down? Hope to hear from you soon.
      tracy

      Delete